It is no secret that kids love to play in the outdoors during summer. As a parent, you want to find some fun and safe activities for them to do while they are out there. If you are a bit short on ideas, I just might have a good one for you.
You may have a lot of boring gray cement in your backyard or driveway and your children would enjoy spending some time using it as a canvas for their chalk artwork. But, before you even get them started, how about you show them how to make their own liquid chalk?
Making liquid chalk is a fun (if not a bit messy) project. I suggest you don’t do this indoors as the concoction can stain your carpet tile.
Here’s everything you need:
- Paint brushes
- Food coloring (various colors)
Once you have those together, all you have to do is follow these simple directions:
Pour half a cup of water into one of the containers. Then think about how thick you want the liquid chalk to be. If you want it fairly thick, add half a cup of flour as well; if not, one-fourth of a cup will be enough.
Add about 12 drops of your favorite color food coloring. At first, try just one color per container so that the colors come out clearly defined. Stir all this until you have a smooth paste without any lumps.
Paint! Let your kids unleash their creative instincts on the pavement. Once liquid chalk dries up, it looks just as though you’d been painting with regular chalk.
Also, like regular chalk, it will wash right off with a hose. But, before you do that, make sure to take pictures of the creations that will come to life on concrete.
Create stylish spa wraps and towels with just a couple pieces of fabric. You can make them for yourself or for your family members. These towel wraps are really easy to make and with the right supplies you can create these chic spa wraps in just a couple minutes! Follow the following steps to make the perfect bath towel wraps!
What you’ll need:
- A large towel
- Matching thread
- Elastic strip
- Velcro strip
- Men’s handkerchiefs
What to do:
- Choose the right towel- Choose a plain or printed towel that is large enough to cover your whole body. It should be long as well as wide enough to cover half or more than half of your body. The thinner the towel the better it is. You can also consider selecting a bath sheet or simple bath towel wrap instead of a large towel if you want to make a big bath wrap. Hanover Company Store and Nice Price Favors offer affordable bath wraps which can be embellished with different accessories.
- Measure your size- You can now wrap the towel around yourself to determine the appropriate size.
- Stitch the Velcro strip vertically- Stitch your velcro strip on the inner side of your towel. You must stitch it vertically at the edge of the towel from top to bottom.
- Make two straps- Take a wide or sleek elastic strip and cut out two pieces measuring 1.5 to 2 inches each. Now stitch them on the upper left and right side of your towel wrap so that it begins from the back of your shoulder and end in the front.
- Use men’s cotton handkerchiefs to make borders- Pick stylish men’s cotton handkerchiefs for the borders of your towel wrap. You can stitch the pieces of these handkerchiefs on the borders and straps.
You can buy a plain bath towel wrap and decorate it if you don’t have a large towel at home. You can use men’s handkerchiefs or other fabrics to beautify these wraps. So, use your creativity, buy some economical items and make a nice bath wrap sitting at home!
Summer time is now in full swing which means that it is time to take your dinners and parties outdoors to enjoy the sublime weather. The first and most notable problem with having outdoor parties in the evening is combating the darkness that is the result of the setting sun. Equipping your entire yard with a lighting system can be both expensive and time consuming, especially if you only have outdoor events a handful of times a year. However, an easy and inexpensive way to quickly light up your yard are tiki torches. So check out this quick and fun way to make your very own glass or metal tiki torches.
– Wood or metal stakes
– Several empty soda cans
– Lots of ¼”x5” wood sticks
– Epoxy adhesive
– Torch fuel
1. Cut and sort ¼”x5 wood sticks (approx. 30 sticks per can)
2. Glue the wood sticks around the can in order to hide the soda can and glue the can using the epoxy adhesive to the top of the stake (allow to dry for 12 hours)
3. Add the recommend amount of torch fuel (varies from brand to brand) and add a wick
4. Insert these new tiki torches in the ground in the desired area and light!
To make a glass tiki torch, replace the soda can with a glass jar for a different and unique look.
There are many gifts you can surprise your partner with on Valentine’s Day. You can go for the luxurious ready-made items or a sweet handmade one. Making a gift for your dear one on your own is a great idea. Such a gift can truly make your Valentine’s Day memorable. Here is a look at a few simple steps to help you make adorable coffee mugs for your Valentine.
- Keep the Person’s Personality in Mind – Firstly, it is important to take your partner’s like and dislikes into account. You can decorate a mug reflecting his/her unique interests. Think of details such as his/her zodiac sign, hobbies and positive traits when you are personalizing the coffee mug.
- Choose Mugs – Now buy two 20 oz coffee mugs20 oz coffee mugs to create a unique pattern from scratch. You can also take old but plain mugs for this project. Pink glitter coffee cups can also help you create different designs easily. These cups are great for your girlfriend or wife. You can get them personalized with any initials. Delicately studded at the front in rhinestones, this mug will add sparkle to her morning.
- Make Exclusive Designs – Paint the person’s name, zodiac sign or favorite saying on the mug. You can also draw a landscape scene, animal picture or anything they really like. Drawing red hearts of different sizes on the mugs is an ideal option for Valentine’s Day. Use stencils to do this if you don’t want to do freehand drawing. Porcelain paints or pens can do this job well.
Surprise your partner this Valentine’s Day with a handmade gift. These personalized mugs will surely help you get that precious smile from your partner this year. Good luck!
A little creativity can surely help you create some beautiful accessories. You can make some amazing necklaces and match them with different clothing items. All you need to make some stylish fabric necklaces is an old T-shirt and scissors. Here are some steps to help you make chic necklaces at home:
- Take a teal and brown fabric T-shirt and cut its body into quarter-inch strips. Made of 100% cotton, these T-shirts are soft and firm enough to make a necklace.
- Cut the hem off this T-shirt as you will not be using it.
- Now cut out the desired amount of strips from the T-shirt.
- Stretch all the strips out one by one and do this until they are really thin.
- Cut one more quarter-inch strip out of the T-shirt and cut this one further in half.
- You can skip cutting the last strip by knitting the strips and tying the side of your necklace.
- Now put the necklace straps around your neck and hold them all on one side.
- Finally, use the braided or knit strips to tie the necklace on the sides so they are not loose.
- You can hide the ends of the strips by either cutting them off or tucking them underneath.
Once you are through all these steps, your home-made, recycled necklace is ready. You can use the left out or fresh strips to make a necklace locket. Take an old stone studded locket, put that in the strip and one more great necklace is ready for you. You can use two strips of different colors to make a livelier necklace. You can also take a locket necklace and use its chain along with the T-shirt strips. This will give your necklace a metallic touch. Now pair these unique necklaces with different garments and give yourself a nice look!
Eye glasses are a necessity for many people, therefore, glasses cases must not be boring! This trendy case for glasses is perfect for teens to create and use. It requires less than an hour’s time to craft and is a fun project. Follow these 7 easy steps to make the perfect DIY pink eyeglass case.
What you need:
- Crafts felt, preferably pink (test and make sure felt will not scratch lenses
- Soft matching lining material
- Felt craft embellishments
- Jewel glue
- Embroidery thread in color of choice
- Fusible web
- Checkerboard fabric
What to do:
- If you’re using a crafts template, you may want to print out the case template and trace it onto the piece of felt.
- Have a large piece of felt at hand which will serve as the actual case.
- Fold the case in half and use your soft lining material to sew the opposite side shut.
- Using an iron, fuse the cotton to what will be the inside of the case.
- Print out the flower template and trace it twice onto the felt. Cut the flowers out and sew them onto one half side of the case, using a basting stitch.
- Fold the felt in half and now use a blanket stitch to sew it together.
- Use the jewel glue and glue the glass nuggets onto the flower centers
Pinatas are always a blast to have at any party, giving you a fun activity that all ages enjoy. Simple and inexpensive, the piñata is an easy way to really make your party special and with the spring time coming up, it is the perfect time to throw an outdoor event. Finding a store that sells piñatas can be difficult but fortunately for you, making a piñata is a relatively uncomplicated project. Check out this quick how-to to make your very own piñata.
– Mixing bowl
– Paper (construction & newspaper)
– Baseball bat tape
– Metallic gold marker
1. Inflate the balloon to size you want your piñata to be and tape any cardboard or construction paper shapes to the sides.
2. Mix one part flour and two parts water in a bowl until it becomes paste.
3. Using strips of torn paper that are dipped into the paste, cover your piñata.
4. Repeat Step 3 at least two more times using a different type of paper (ie. newspaper, construction paper, etc.), each time ensuring the piñata is dry before the next layer is applied.
5. Allow the piñata to dry until it is no longer sticky or wet to the touch and is hard and dry.
6. Once the piñata is done, use the baseball bat tape in red and white to decorate the outside, and use your metallic gold marker to decorate or write “happy birthday” on the ball.
Now all you have to do is pop the balloon on the inside to fill with candy and/or other treats and enjoy!
Most avid craft lovers have one thing in common: tons of crafting stuff and not enough space to put it all. If your craft room is a mess of spilt buttons, tangled ribbons, unraveled thread, wrinkled fabrics, dried glue, and glitter glistening on every crevice, don’t fear. You’re not the only one. And because of this ever-so-common crafting problem, we’ve compiled a list of tips to keep your crafting room or space as organized as possible.
- The main tip is to utilize every possible storage space. If you’re limited with craft space try hanging baskets from the ceiling. For inexpensive drawers, find some clear plastic drawer sets at a local store and use the drawers to keep materials out of the way, but still easily in sight. When utilizing space, try to build vertically by placing shelves along all the available wall space.
- Invest in the perfect craft desk for your space. Look for one that provides lots of storage and work space, but also feels comfortable, and fits well within the room. If the craft desk doesn’t have enough storage, you could always place a small filing cabinet beneath the desk.
- Place a bulletin board over your craft desk so you have a place to tack up papers, tutorials, inspirational photos, and other instructions you may need while crafting.
- Keep the tools you use the most close at hand. Have a special basket designated to scissors, glue and other tools that will always be in easy reach of your work space.
- You can also create a tool rack by mounting a piece of wood to the wall and then securing hooks to the wood to hang your most used tools for easy accessibility.
- Organize fabrics and other materials in boxes that are clearly labeled so you can find specific fabrics with ease. Have a box for pastel materials, prints, bold colors, etc.
- Keep ribbons, cords and threads on rods that can be attached to the wall, or tucked away in a closet. This will keep them organized and not in a tangled mess.
- Finally, make sure to spend a few minutes at the end of every craft session tidying up your area so it stays neat and organized.
After implementing these tips you should be well on your way to an organized craft room. Now it’s time to get creative!
Tags: craft desk
One way to personalize your garden is to create your very own garden stepping stones, giving you a define path to walk on and a way to but your stamp on your garden. Whether you are commemorating an occasion with handprints or just want to add a little color to your garden, these custom stepping stones are a great addition to any garden.
– Plastic planter saucers
– Bag of Quikrete
– Mortar tub
– Mixing stick
– Decorations, etc.
1. Set out all of the molds for the stones you want to create.
2. Mix the Quikrete using the directions on the bag. The resulting mixture should resemble oatmeal.
3. Spoon the mixture into each plastic planter saucer and smooth it down to make it nice and compact.
4. Leave each stone to set for 45 minute and then begin decorating as you please with hands prints, decorations, or anything else you want to set in the stone.
5. Allow the stepping stones to set for up to a week before you put them outside for use.
It is important to note that cement can be toxic, so make sure htat you are properly protected before undertaking any projects. Gloves are a must and eye-protection is highly recommended.
Baby showers allow us to welcome those cute little angels into the world. These showers allow women to enjoy their motherhood and to appreciate all the guests for their love. You may get a lot of gifts on your baby shower and you may want to give memorable return gifts to your guests. Here are some ideas which will help you thank your loving guests with unforgettable souvenirs.
Pick some cute party favor bags
Your job is half done if your party favor bags are cute. You can pick some favor bags with metallic colors. You can pick medium or large sized blue metallic gift bags from the US Toy Company. You can also check out red, purple, green, silver and gold metallic gift bags. Don’t forget to check out the holographic Diamond gift bags from Misuwrap. Featuring unique drawstring, these bags allow you to pack your gifts with ease. You don’t have to use tape on these bags. They come with durable, reusable and printed lamination. You can pick the all-in-one 15-piece gift bag set because it will save your time and money. These 15-piece metallic Diamond finish gift bags are available in silver, red, green and blue colors.
Choose some nice gift items
Selecting some good gifts is the first step. You can create some cute and useful gift items for your guests. For instance you can pick some miniature myrtle trees or other miniature plants and put them in different tea cups. You can gift these tree cups to your guests. You can pick some bright artificial flowers and put them in small gift bags. Don’t forget to put a few chocolates and candies on the bottom of your gift bag. You can go for some ready made party favors if you don’t have much time. Baby screw back earrings will be a great choice if you want to gift something really cute. You can go for 14 K Gold Ruby earrings. Ivy Green offers 14 K Gold baby screw back earrings having two genuine 3mm round ruby gemstones. Especially designed for babies, these earrings come with shorter posts which suit your little one’s ears. These earrings have smooth screw backs which keep your baby at ease. You can also check out Sterling Silver Cross screw back stud earrings from Ivy Green. These earrings are made of sterling silver. They are a fine jewelry gift for babies and little children. Featuring shorter post, they fit your little one’s ears easily. Their screw backs are safe and smooth on the bottom.
Write cute messages for your party favors
Once your party favors are ready, you can take a pen and paper to write a cute message for your guests. You can write messages on small pieces of paper and put them in all the gifts. This will really make your guests feel special and loved. You can write funny messages like, ‘Dear Aunt Marry, I will soon see you and make you change my diapers.’