You can use an old pair of jeans in a number of ways. One of the best ways to make use of your old pair of jeans is by turning it into a denim tote bag. We all need bags to carry our stuff at grocery stores, malls and various other places. Here are some steps to help you make a nice denim bag.
What you’ll need:
- an old pair of jeans or a denim skirt or top
- spring scissors
- heavy-duty sewing machine
- jeans thread made of 70% polyester and 30% cotton
- black fabric
- decorative lace
- fabric flower
What to do:
- Take your old jeans and cut two rectangles from the legs using spring scissors. Cut the rectangles in the size you want your tote bag to be. You can also use an old denim skirt or top to cut bigger rectangles.
- Once you’ve cut the rectangles, you can start sewing with a heavy-duty sewing machine and jeans thread. Position the hems at the top and fold your rectangles in thirds lengthwise. Mark the two inside creases and make sure you fold across the length of the fabric.
- Place one rectangle on top of the other, with the reverse sides facing outward; then sew the sides, bottom and corners.
- Fold the bag so that the bottom and side seam are stacked on top of one another. Now sew across the corner and make sure to keep the new seam perpendicular to the existing ones. Repeat this process on the other corner.
- Flip the bag right side out, and you’ll see that the corners are blunted. Now line the bottom and side seam up so that you can sew across them.
- Now you can make the handles of your denim bag. Cut two 2-inch-wide strips of a strong black fabric. You can also cut two strips out of your jeans. Pin and stitch the handles to the bag.
- Take a long piece of decorative lace, cut it into two pieces and stitch them to both sides of your bag. You can add more charm to your bag by stitching a fabric flower at its right side.
You can easily make a denim tote bag with the help of some useful tools. Spring scissors feature a spring that helps you cut a thick piece of cloth effortlessly. The jeans thread, decorative lace and fabric flower will be sure to make your denim bag sturdy and beautiful. So give these steps a try to make an amazing denim tote bag at home!
Playing dress-up is a timeless tradition that generations of children have enjoyed. Not only is it entertaining, playing dress-up can also spark a child’s imagination and inspire her to believe she can be whoever she wants to be. So whether you’re interested in planning a fun rainy day activity or some parent and me bonding time, we’ve got you covered with instructions on setting up a fabulous dress up center and creating your first outfit!
What you’ll need:
- See and Store Dress Up Center
- Peace sign clothing items of your choice, plus one men’s or women’s peace sign T shirt
- Binder clips
- Long hippie wig
- Flare jeans
Setting up your center
Follow the assembly instructions included with your See and Store Dress Up Center. If you’ve already set aside some clothes or accessories, you can let your son or daughter in on the action by asking them to help you hang these up.
Create a hippie outfit
For an easy first costume, try transforming your son or daughter into a flower child. Here’s how:
- Have your child try on the men’s or women’s peace sign T shirt. Help your child use binder clips to adjust the fit so that it looks like a tunic.
- Pass your child the flare jeans, hippie wig, and any other peace sign clothing items you have handy. You can also have fun with accessorizing: Try adding a tie-dye bandana, tinted fashion glasses, or a brown fringe vest!
Do you have any creative dress up outfit ideas? Leave a comment to let us know!
You can use all sorts of scrapping materials to help create the perfect wind chime. You can also incorporate different metals or wood to spruce up the finished look of the wind chime. Here is a look at some items you can gather for making unique angel wind chimes for your home:
- White beads
- Angel charms/angel wing pendant
- White marbles
- Sea shells of different shapes and sizes
- A drilling machine with a small diamond drill bit
- A small wooden stick
- Invisible plastic thread
Once you have collected these items, it is time for action! Follow these steps to make the perfect wind chime:
- Take the wooden stick and cut it into the desired size. Keep in mine that the width of this piece of wood should be the width of your wind chime.
- Create three holes on the wooden stick using your drilling machine. Make one hole at the center of the stick as well as on the opposite ends of the stick.
- Take the invisible plastic thread and cut in into three long pieces and tie a knot at each end. Put a piece of thread into the middle hole and take it out from the other end (the knot of your thread should act like a stopper and should not pass through the hole. You can make two or more knots at the same place in order to prevent the thread from slipping through).
- Place the two knotted threads in the vacant holes.
- Pick up a sea shell and make a hole in it. Now you can put the thread into it. Tie a knot below to create a stopper. You can embellish by incorporating the white marbles and beads into your thread. If you don’t have an angel charm, you can use an angel wing pendant. These pendants will surely add some zazz to the wind chime.
- Keep adding shells to the threads until all three threads have at least 5 sea shells and two marbles.
In just 30 minutes you’ve got yourself a homemade wind chime! And one made from sea shells, marbles, angel charms, and natural stones will create a soothing sound for your home environment!
Healthy food can make kids active and give many benefits to their growing bodies. A lot of parents struggle to feed healthy food to their kids because many kids are picky when it comes to food whereas some kids are simply easy eaters. Here are some ideas which can help the parents of such kids. These ideas will help you attract the kids towards healthy food.
1. Prepare their favorite dishes at home
Some kids like chips, burgers and other junk food items. If your kids also like this kind of food then be a smart parent and prepare healthier food at home. One of the major advantages of doing this is that you can ask your kids to finish their vegetables or salad before they start to have fries. Strike deals with them and ask them to finish a bowl of fresh fruit salad before they start to have a burger or a pizza.
2. Give special utensils to the kids
Check out some kids fork and spoon sets online. Picking out cute utensils is a great way to attract them to the idea of eating at home more because they’ll want to use their new fork and knife set. The Princess by Tomy flatware is an ideal gift for baby girls. The colorful spoons and forks of these sets feature the prints of different Disney princesses. They help the kids to eat easily. Don’t forget to check out the very pretty Melissa & Doug Sunny Patch 21 piece Bella Butterfly picnic set. This one can be a good birthday present for your kid or niece.
3. Pick fresh fruits and vegetable with the kids
Don’t by fresh fruits and vegetable all by yourself. Take your kids along and teach them how to pick the best fruits and vegetables. Don’t forget to tell them the benefits of each fruit and vegetable. This will make the kids more interested in vegetables and fruits.
4. Make a list of fruits and vegetables with vitamins and minerals with the kids
Mention the benefits of some fruits and vegetables on a piece of paper. Also, mention what they are rich in. Stick this list on the refrigerator and ask the kids to pick the vegetables having specific vitamins. This game will help them learn the importance of healthy food.
Tags: kids fork and spoon
How to make homemade playdough ? All of us have enjoyed experimenting with play dough as kids. However, for those of us who missed out on the joy of make their own play dough from the scratch, we are here to share a play dough recipe that works! Not only works, but also makes amazing, easy, great quality play dough. This can be a great rainy or snowy day project you could do with the kids. Making your own play dough with your child can be fun. So try this play dough recipe and have fun.
1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup salt
1 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoon cream of tartar (optional for improved elasticity)
food coloring (liquid, powder, or unsweetened drink mix)
Steps to make play dough:
a. Start with one cup of flour and two-tablespoon cream of tartar. Sieve them first.
b. Add in 1/2 cup of fine salt.
c. Stir in 1 cup warm water with one tablespoon of vegetable oil with a spoon or fork. Mix until there are no more lumps.
d. Pour into a non-stick pan. Then stir over low heat. Keep on stirring. The dough will begin to thicken and look somewhat like mashed potatoes.
e. When the dough pulls away from the sides and clumps in the center, remove the pan from heat and allow the dough to cool enough to handle.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If your play dough is still sticky, you simply need to cook it longer. Keep stirring and cooking until the dough is dry and feels like play dough.
f. Turn the dough out onto an aluminum foil on an activity table with storage. Knead vigorously until it becomes soft and smooth. Divide the dough into balls for coloring.
g. Make a divot in the center of the ball, and drop some food coloring in. Fold the dough over, working the food color through the body of the play dough, trying to keep the raw dye away from your hands and the counter. You could use gloves to keep your hands clean. Work the dye through, adding as necessary to achieve your chosen color.
h. When you are done, store your play dough in an airtight container.
1. The dry and wet ingredients need to be mixed separately and then combined. This makes all the difference.
2. If it begins to dry out, you can knead a bit of water in again to soften the dough back to usability. Once it dries past a certain point, you will just have to start over.
More great Craft Ideas! Placemats can not only protect your dining table from water and other stains, increasing its life, but they can also be used to spruce up your table for special occasions and everyday meals. You can use different placemats on different occasions. Since purchasing several placemats for different occasions can be expensive, your best bet is to make your own at home. This will help you save money and allow you to use your creativity. You can make paper placemats in any color, pattern or theme of your choice. Even children will enjoy making placemats. Here are the steps you can follow for this project.
Choose the right kind of paper
For each of your paper placemats, you’ll need one piece of decorative paper and a piece of heavy paper, such as card stock, which you’ll use as a backing. Both pieces of paper should be 11 by 17 inches in size. Instead of using decorative paper, you can also use affordable Silver Celebrity paper placemats, which are simple and great for regular use. These are available in a set of 50 reusable mats printed with food-safe, soy-based ink. You can decorate them with small beads, ribbons, or any other embellishments as desired. If you want something more colorful, try using the garden-themed paper placemats by Studio Oh!, which are perfect for special occasions.
Cut the paper to give it the right shape and size
Once you have selected a paper placemat or a decorative paper, use a rotary cutter to cut it into the desired shape and size. Trim a quarter-inch off of each edge of your paper using scissors with decorative edges.
Paste your decorative paper onto the thick paper backing
Use a paintbrush or foam brush to apply a layer of glue on the back of the decorative paper. Place the decorative paper on the heavy paper backing and gently remove any bubbles with your hand. Allow your placemat to dry for at least one hour. If you’d like to make your placemats more durable, you can also laminate them with plastic sheets.