The perfect festive Thanksgiving art project is making a Thanksgiving centerpiece gourd. In case you didn’t know, a gourd is the hollowed out and dried skin of fruit. This gourd can be used to make a beautiful and fun centerpiece for your Thanksgiving feast. There are many options of what you can make. You can make a turkey, a Thanksgiving scene or even pilgrims. Today I’m going to describe how you can create a Thanksgiving pilgrim gourd.
Here’s what you need:
– Paint brush
– Brown yarn
– Small paper cup
– Craft glue
Here’s what you do:
- Use a gourd that you’ve prepared that has two round parts to it, so that one end could be the body and one end could be the head.
- Lay out a sheet of butcher paper on your work space for easy clean up and practice painting.
- Use you Krylon paint colors to paint the top or smaller round part of your gourd a neutral skin color. Paint the bottom half gray or a shade of brown. Use the same color you used on the face to paint hands near the center of the body section.
- Paint on the details with black and white to make the eyes, nose, mouth, buttons, coat and collar.
- Cut up little pieces brown yarn and then use craft glue to place the pieces of yarn on top on the gourds head turning him into a pilgrim!
- Then make then hat by painting a small paper cup black with your black Krylon paint color. Then on your butcher paper trace very closely the wider end of the cup. Then make a larger circle around that circle, about 2-3 inches apart. This will depend on how big you want to make the hat.
- Cut out the larger circle and then the hole in the middle. Think of a donut here. Then paint the paper black and set it and the cup aside to dry.
- Once dry, slip the donut paper you made over the black bottom of the black cup. You’ve made a hat. Now you can glue the hat to the top of your gourd.
- You can make a whole scene with pilgrim gourds if you’re feeling extra ambitious or just one for your table centerpiece. Happy Thanksgiving!