Are you a soon-to-be grad? If so, congrats on your accomplishment! You probably already have your next step in life planned out, but many grads tend to overlook a detail that can make a big difference on graduation day: decorating their caps. Not only does this allow you to add a personal stamp to your graduation ensemble, it also serves a functional purpose by allowing you to stand out from the crowd. Take it from someone who once graduated in a sports arena with a Jumbotron – your friends and family will thank you for it when they’re trying to spot you from the bleachers!
What you’ll need:
- Fabric paint or adhesive backed craft felt – one sheet in a color of your choice, or pre-cut letters and numbers
- A locket – cheap lockets work well
- Needle and thread
- Sew-on jewels
- Fabric flowers
To make your own rendition of the look above, simply do the following:
- Use the fabric paint to spell out a message of your choice, such as your name, your school’s initials or your graduation year. Alternatively, you can use pre-cut felt letters or numbers with an adhesive backing, or make your own from a sheet of adhesive-backed felt.
- Use your needle and thread to sew the jewels along the edges of your cap or as desired.
- Sew a couple of fabric flowers onto one corner of your cap or as desired.
- For a meaningful finishing touch, paste photos of Mom and Dad, or anyone else who has supported and motivated you throughout your school years, into a locket. Loop the chain around the button on top of the cap, along with your tassel. You’ll want to use a cheap locket so it won’t be a big deal if it gets lost in the shuffle, especially if you plant to toss your cap during the ceremony.